A great meatless quiche. If you want, you can put it in a crust, but we like it just as well without it.
1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
1 cup (160 g) onion, sliced
2 cups (360 g) tomatoes, sliced
2 tablespoons (1 6 g) flour
2 teaspoons (1.4 g) dried basil
3/4 cup (180 ml) egg substitute
1/2 cup (120 ml) skim milk
1/2 teaspoon (1 g) black pepper
1 cup (110 g) Swiss cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6). Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft; remove from skillet.
2. Sprinkle tomato slices with flour and basil, then saute 1 minute on each side.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together egg substitute and milk. Season with pepper.
4. Spread half the cheese in the bottom of a pie pan sprayed with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Layer onions over the cheese and top with tomatoes. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4), and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until filling is puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.