Baked brown rice and spinach, with just enough cheese to add a little extra flavor. It’s very tasty and you must try it…
1 cup (190 g) brown rice
1 pound (455 g) fresh spinach
1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
3/4 cup (120 g) onion, minced
1/4 teaspoon (0.8 g) minced garlic
1 teaspoon (1 g) dried thyme, chopped
1/4 cup (15 g) minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup (30 g) low fat provolone cheese, shredded
3/4 cup (180 ml) egg substitute
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Cook rice according to package directions until tender but still undercooked (about 30 minutes).
2. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again, and set aside.
3. Wash spinach and remove stems. In a large skillet, cook the spinach in the water that clings to the leaves until the spinach is wilted. Remove from skillet, cool, and chop coarsely.
4. In the same skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion until softened. Add the garlic and thyme. Combine the rice, spinach, onion mixture, parsley, provolone, and egg substitute.
5. Coat a 11h-quart (1.4 L) baking dish with nonstick vegetable oil spray and add the spinach mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Remove foil and cook for 5 minutes more.