This is traditional American comfort food. So, lets get down to the recipe. Follow my instructions and enjoy in delicious tuna noodle casserole.
1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
2 tablespoons (1 6 g) flour
2 cups (470 ml) skim milk
1/4 cup (30 g) low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
3 cups (450 g) cooked egg noodles
10-ounce (280 g) package frozen peas, thawed
7 ounces (200 g) water-packed tuna
4 ounces (115 g) mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup (37 g) chopped green bell pepper
l/s teaspoon (0.3 g) black pepper
1/2 cup (60 g) bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5). Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
3. Stir in cheese; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
4. Combine cheese sauce, noodles, and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper).
5. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart (1.9-L) casserole dish coated with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs.
6. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and the top is browned.