No waiting in a drive-through line for these portable pitas! The protein and whole wheat will keep you going through the day—without the saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium of fast food.
Ingredients: [quote_box_right]TIP: Soybeans provide easily digested, highquality protein and essential amino acids. Meat-free soybased products that replace sausage, bacon, and burgers offer all the taste without the fat.[/quote_box_right]
2 6-inch whole-wheat pita pockets
1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
¼ cup chopped green onions
⅔ cup soy-based sausage crumbles
1 cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons salsa (lowest sodium)
1. In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, warm the pitas slightly, about 30 seconds on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with another plate to keep warm.
2. Pour the oil in the skillet, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the green onions for about 2 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
3. Stir in the sausage crumbles. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until just heated through.
4. Pour in the egg substitute. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until set, stirring often.
5. Cut the pitas in half. Spoon the egg mixture into each. Drizzle with the salsa.