These tasty little meatballs can also be used as the basis of a lunch, served over rice with a vegetable. When we’ve made them for a get-together, they are always one of the first items to disappear.
1 pound (455 g) ground turkey breast
1/4 cup (60 ml) egg substitute
3/4 cup (50 g) saltine crackers, crushed
4 ounces part-skim shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup (40 g) chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon (0.9 g) ground ginger
6 tablespoons (90 g) Dijon mustard, divided
1 1/4 cups (295 ml) unsweetened pineapple juice
1/4 cup (37 g) chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
1 tablespoon (8 g) cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon (0.7 g) onion powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
2. In a bowl, combine turkey, egg substitute, cracker crumbs, mozzarella, onion, ginger and 3 tablespoons (45 g) mustard. Form into 30 balls, 1 inch (2.5 cm) each.
3. Spray a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking dish with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Place meatballs in dish. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
4. In a saucepan, combine pineapple juice, green pepper, honey, cornstarch, onion powder, and remaining mustard.
5. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened.
6. Brush meatballs with about 1/4 cup (60 ml) sauce and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
7. Serve remaining sauce as a dip for meatballs.