- 1 cup asparagus
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked whole-grain penne pasta
- 500 gm boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 100g soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added, including juice
- 2 tsps dried basil or oregano
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain the pasta thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a pot fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the asparagus. Cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spray a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray. Add the chicken and garlic and saute over medium-high heat.
- Cook until the chicken is golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, including their juice, basil or oregano and simmer 1 minute more.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked pasta, steamed asparagus, chicken mixture and goat cheese. Toss gently to mix evenly.
- To serve, divide the pasta mixture between 2 plates. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.