A variation on the traditional tuna casserole. Brown rice adds nutrients, and yogurt provides flavor and creaminess.
1 1/4 cups (238 g) uncooked brown rice
3 cups (710 ml) water
1 cup (100 g) chopped celery
1/2 cup (80 g) onion, finely diced
1/2 cup (115 g) plain fat-free yogurt
1 cup (235 ml) skim milk
1/4 teaspoon (0.3 g) red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon (0.3 g) dried tarragon
14 ounces (395 g) water-packed canned tuna, drained
2 cups (280 g) frozen peas, thawed
3/4 cup (90 g) low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
2. Combine rice and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 35 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Add celery, onion, yogurt, and milk. Add red pepper flakes and tarragon; mix well.
4. Flake the tuna with a fork and add it and thawed peas to the rice mixture; mix well.
5. Pour into 2-quart (1.9-L) casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Top with shredded cheese.