Healthy soup full of vitamins and minerals, testy could be enough for lunch and also as starter in dinner.
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets and stem thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 4 Parmesan crisps
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, broccoli, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften.
- Stir in the flour and cook until it evenly coats all of the vegetables.
- Add the stock, stirring vigorously to keep the flour from clumping.
- Simmer for a few minutes, then pour the mixture (working in batches, if need be) into a blender and puree until mostly smooth (a bit of texture can be nice here).
- Return the soup to the pot and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Stir in the milk and cheese.
- After the cheese has fully melted into the soup, season with salt and pepper and a few good shakes of Tabasco.
- Serve each bowl of soup with a Parmesan crisp floating in the middle.