- 8-10 chicken pieces with bone in and skin on
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 x400 g cans white beans
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 250g spinach, chopped
- Season chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a film of oil in a large frying pan and brown chicken over a medium heat until crisp and golden. Set aside.
- Pour off any excess fat from the pan and gently cook onion, garlic and rosemary for 10 minutes before returning chicken to the pan (use a casserole or electric frying pan if you frying pan isn’t big enough to fit the chicken).
- Pour over the chicken stock, cover and simmer for 15 minutes before adding the beans to the pan.
- Continue to simmer uncovered for a further 15 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the liquid has reduced.
- Add the spinach to the pan for the final 10 minutes of cooking.
- Serve sprinkled with lemon zest.